Bestever Homemade Baked Mac and Cheese Recipe
It would be no exaggeration if we could accept the fact that baking our foods is a national regime. We Americans are genuinely obsessed with baking. While the others, especially the South Americans, Africans, Asians, and even the Europeans would cook their meals on open flames or fires. Baking would be a better option in comparison to cooking on open flames. As the latter would destroy most of the nutritional values found in the food. If we bake to a more significant extent would retain dietary benefits better than cooking of open flames, and this type of food preparation is admirable. And nothing can be better than homemade baked mac and cheese recipe for kids and even for adults.
The consumption of excessive cooking oils in the preparation of various international cuisines has been the cause of many heart diseases, high cholesterol levels, and other preventable sicknesses.
Learn more from our Baked Mac and Cheese with Breadcrumbs
Cooking at home for the working Mom would seem a bit taxing but once you get the hang of it and have all the ingredients ready at hand the cooking process of baked mac and cheese would be just a cakewalk. The other important factor would be that you would be serving nutritious food on the table for your family, instead of encouraging them to eat junk food from street vendors.
Ingredients for Baked Mac and Cheese
- 500 g of dry branded macaroni (elbow)
- Four tablespoons of unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose sifted flour
- 2 ½ cups whole milk
- One teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion salt
- 500 g sharp cheddar, shredded and divided at home
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper, thyme, paprika, crumbled bacon, etc. (This is optional)
- 4 quarts of freshwater
It is also essential that you have the right cooking utensils with you. It would be great if you have three pans to complete the chore in double-quick time. One-pan deep pot to cook the macaroni, another shallow saucepan to cook the sauce in and a rectangular heat resistant preferably glass dish for the final baking.
This would enable you to cook the macaroni and let it drain the water while you prepare the sauce in another. While your Mac and Cheese is in the oven, you could clean and be ready to serve
Did you try John Legend mac and Cheese?
Cooking Instructions of Baked Mac and Cheese
When you embark on preparing this Pan Cooked Macaroni recipe is imperative that you have selected the best ingredients. Feeding your family healthy food is your prerogative, and in doing so, choosing the best ingredients would take pride of place.
- Put the water into the deep pan and bring it to boil at medium heat and then place the macaroni in
- Till the macaroni cooks get the sauce ready
- Place the other pan on medium heat
- When ready put the butter in and while melting mix in the flour and whisk to create a roux
- Stirring and whisking regularly, ensure you bring the mix to a light golden brown color
- Next, whisk in the milk and stir well
- Constantly stir and whisk bringing it to a boil and wait till it thickens which would take about 5 minutes
- Slowly, one at a time add the seasonings of dry mustard and garlic powder, and then tasting a bit, sprinkle a pinch of salt as desired for taste
- Add the cheese (keeping aside one cup or 1/3 of it to garnish the top) and stir well to melt
- Pour the cooked and drained macaroni and stir well mixing it with the sauce
- Butter the bottom and the four sides of the baking dish
- Slowly pour in the macaroni and sauce mixture and sprinkle the leftover cheese on top
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes keeping a close watch until it bubbles up at the middle
- Remove from the oven and let the dish cool and then serve to the table
This best baked mac and cheese recipe would be best accompanied by a bowl of salad and the sauces that would have individual preferences
Would you like to try Top 3 Stovetop Mac and Cheese?
Servings of Baked Mac and Cheese
This would serve eight persons and is an excellent meal to cook up in a hurry when surprise visitors are at your home or a bunch of your kid’s friends. It will be imperative if you keep most of these ingredients at home. So you don’t require to rush out to buy them but get the best baked mac and cheese recipe prepared and on the table in a jiffy. This homemade baked mac and cheese combination would be one that you could turn out at any time of the day.
Try More Of Mac & Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Value of Baked Mac and Cheese
As parents, we should always look forward to ensuring that our children consume a well-balanced diet. The incidence of overweight and obesity is at an alarming level, and most kids are suffering from both, while adults are no better. The American population is suffering from overweight and obesity predicament, which is the primary cause of heart diseases and other life-threatening illnesses.
- Calories – 420 kcal
- Carbohydrate – 42 g
- Protein – 28 g
- Cholesterol – 112 mg
- Sodium – 428 mg
- Potassium – 232 mg
- Calcium – 52 %
- Iron – 7.4 %
- Sugar – 4 g
- Fiber – 3 g
- Saturated fat – 21 g
- Vitamin A – 22.2 %
- Vitamin C – 0.3 %