If you’re a fan of both Buffalo Wild Wings and mac and cheese, you’re going to love this Buffalo Mac And Cheese Buffalo Wild Wings. It’s the perfect combination of two of everyone’s favorite comfort foods. Best of all, it’s easy to make and only takes about 30 minutes from start to finish.
My Buffalo Mac And Cheese Buffalo Wild Wings recipe is proof that good things come to those who wait. I know 30 minutes seems like a long time, but it’s worth the wait! The mac and cheese get nice and creamy, while the buffalo sauce gets nice and thick. Finally, you’ll sprinkle a little cheddar on top for a perfect mac and cheese buffalo wing balance of flavors.
You’re probably wondering what type of macaroni I use in this mac and cheese recipe. Most macaroni is vegan-friendly, but some brands contain animal products or byproducts. So check your labels to be sure before you go shopping!
A few other tips before we get started with Buffalo Mac And Cheese Buffalo Wild Wings: make sure to plan when you make mac and cheese buffalo wild wings because the macaroni needs to soak for 30 minutes. Also, if you’re a vegan-friendly mac and cheese buffalo wild wings recipe calls for cheddar cheese, make sure to only use vegan brands of cheddar cheese.
Buffalo Mac And Cheese Buffalo Wild Wings Origins
Buffalo mac and cheese is a staple in Upstate New York. It’s believed that the mac and cheese recipe first came about in Buffalo, NY, during the 1960s. And it had nothing to do with buffalo wings! Instead, macaroni was used as an inexpensive meal for people of limited means. Then, to make macaroni even more filling, cooks started adding hot sauce (to represent Buffalo’s spicy flavor) and cheddar cheese (about its mild nature).
Buffalo Mac And Cheese Buffalo Wild Wings combination caught on quickly because not only were they cheap, but tasty too! People loved adding their special touches like bacon bits or Ranch dressing. That way, everyone could put together their perfect mac and cheese dish.
This Recipe serves 8 Servings.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- 1 pkg macaroni,
- ½ tbs olive oil,
- 2 tbs + 2 tbs butter divided use,
- 3 tbs flour,
- 1 tsp garlic powder,
- 4 cups non-dairy milk, divided use (I used almond) (divided use),
- 3 Tbls nutritional yeast flakes (divided use),
- 1 cup buffalo sauce with red pepper flakes,
- ½ cup cheddar or Daiya brand vegan-friendly cheddar.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Boil macaroni noodles al dente and drain immediately.
- Melt 2 Tbls of butter in a saucepan on the stovetop over medium heat. Whisk in flour and garlic powder until clumps form and cook for 1 minute, constantly stirring, so the mixture doesn’t burn. Add 3 cups of non-dairy milk and simmer on low while constantly whisking until thickened (about 5 minutes).
- Whisk in 3 Tbls of nutritional yeast flakes, buffalo sauce, salt (if necessary), pepper (if necessary), add macaroni noodles into the saucepan with cheese sauce, and stir well.
- Season with fresh cracked pepper or red pepper flakes if desired. Move macaroni and cheese to a baking dish coated with 1 Tbls olive oil.
- Sprinkle cheddar or Daiya brand vegan-friendly cheddar cheese on macaroni and cheese, baking in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Melt 2 Tbls of butter in a saucepan on the stovetop over medium heat, add garlic powder, buffalo sauce, salt (if necessary), pepper (if necessary).
- Stir well, then remove macaroni and cheese from the oven. Pour buffalo wing sauce evenly over macaroni and cheese. Serve immediately! Recipe Notes: I use vegan-friendly macaroni noodles, but you can use any macaroni noodles you like.
- I recommend cooking the macaroni al dente before mixing it with the buffalo mac and cheese. It helps if your macaroni and cheese are a little runny in the center even after it has baked in the oven because you can add a little milk to help thicken it up (it also depends on how long you bake it for).
- I recommend cooking macaroni and cheese at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes but start by baking it longer if necessary.
- The macaroni and cheese recipe calls for 4 cups of non-dairy milk but feels free to use other non-dairy milk like almond, soy, rice, or coconut.
- Calories – 442 cal per serving
- Total Fat – 24.5 g per serving
- Sodium – 627 mg per serving
- Potassium – 127 mg per serving
- Carbohydrates – 21 g per serving
- Fiber – 1 g per serving
Try All Of Our Mac And Cheese Recipes
Frequently Asked Questions
Are our Buffalo Mac And Cheese Buffalo Wild Wings healthy?
Macaroni and cheese with veggies are considered a healthier macaroni and cheese recipe because it contains macaroni noodles, macaroni sauce (cheese) , vegetables, nutritional yeast flakes, almond milk.
How do I make mac and cheese healthier?
You can make this recipe with low-fat milk instead of almond milk (or any other type of non-dairy milk) and vegan-friendly margarine instead of real butter. Another way to make it healthier is to bake it at 400 degrees F for about 15 minutes.
How long do you cook Macaroni And Cheese Buffalo Wild Wings?
Cooking time depends on how many servings you want to prepare, the type of oven available, the size of the baking dish, etc., but I recommend cooking macaroni and cheese at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes.
How many calories are in Macaroni And Cheese Buffalo Wild Wings?
442 calories per serving (without melted butter)
Can I make this recipe using gluten-free flour?
If you want to make gluten-free buffalo wild wings with jalapeno sauce, use your favorite gluten-free flour instead of regular all-purpose flour (or all-purpose wheat flour).
This recipe is just my interpretation of Buffalo Mac And Cheese Buffalo Wild Wings, so it might not be the same as the restaurant version, but I think it’s delicious!
I hope you enjoy this macaroni and cheese buffalo wild wings recipe. If you make any changes, let me know how it turned out.